By adding wireless transmitter functionality Garmin has created the best recreational, technical and closed-circuit rebreather smartwatch dive computer on the market, hands down! Not only is it a dive computer with smartwatch functions but also a full multi-sport fitness watch with GPS, heart rate, and pulse oxygen sensors that allow the Descent MK2i to be a true all-in-one, everyday watch.
The Descent Mk2i was recently awarded the Scubalab's Tester's Choice in their November 2020 edition, so we know that we aren't the only ones that think this dive computer is amazing.
The original Descent MK1 was a fantastic smart dive computer that brought true integration with your smartphone via Bluetooth technology but the MK2 takes it so much further with a computer that is based on a popular, tried and tested, high-performance Garmin multi-sport watch. Obviously, it has been highly modified to suit our needs with a heavy-duty casing, 3-axis compass, new SubWave sonar-based wireless transmitter technology and ABC sensors. The beauty of basing it on an existing fitness/sport watch is that it packs loads of features for everyday use as well. No longer do you need a separate dive watch, dive computer and day-to-day watch.
Function wise, the only difference between the MK2 and the MK2i is the option for wireless air integration using the Garmin T1 Transmitter. The MK2i can support up to 5 transmitters at a distance of up to 10m. Unlike most transmitters which use radio frequency (RF) to transmit the data, Garmin has developed a sonar-based technology. The biggest problem with RF waves is that they don't travel through water very well whereas sonar works best in water which allows for the significant improvement in transmission range.
As with the MK2, the Descent Mk2i comes with ABC sensors, an underwater 3-axis compass as well as surface GPS capabilities to mark your entry and exit points. On land, the Descent Mk2i doubles as a premium multisport GPS smartwatch with multi-GNSS support, multiple sports apps, wrist-based heart rate monitoring, a Pulse Ox sensor, advanced training features, Garmin Pay™ payment service, music storage, smart notifications for calls, texts and calendar alerts and much more.
- An advanced, watch-style dive computer with 1.4” colour sunlight-readable display (36% larger than the previous model) in an elegant yet rugged design
- With six dive modes as well as multi-GNSS support and ABC sensors —including an underwater compass—know every part of your dive from entry to exit
- Pair with the Descent™ T1 transmitter for integrated pressure monitoring on up to 5 tanks via the SubWave™ sonar data network, and see remaining air time, air consumption rate and more for you and other divers within a 10m range
- Features enhanced wrist-based heart rate and Pulse Ox sensing of blood oxygen saturation to support advanced sleep monitoring and altitude acclimation at high elevations
- Includes built-in support for multiple sports apps, activity tracking, advanced training features, Garmin Pay™payment service, music storage with premium streaming service support, smart notifications for calls, texts and calendar alerts and more
- Dive log lets you store and review data from up to 200 dives right on your wrist and share and review dives in the Garmin Dive™ app downloaded to your compatible smartphone
- Battery life: up to 80 hours in dive mode, 16 days in smartwatch mode and 15 hours in GPS mode with music